The busy lives of two women and their four kids. I'm Sandi and my partner is Jo. Our kids are Jen (15yrs) Jessica (6yrs) Taryn (6yrs) and Toby (newborn). Life is never dull.

Monday, May 08, 2006

More please!

We went to signing playgroup this morning. Jo and I headed upstairs to learn more AUSLAN (Australian Sign Language) whilst Taryn and Jess stayed in class to do activities. They learn so much there, and so do we. Imagine a regular playgroup with sand play and painting, songs and craft - then imagine that every word, every action is supplemented with sign language. That's our playgroup! We love it so much that we travel 40 minutes to get there.

After our hour of sign language we rejoined the girls in class. Jess spent a while telling me that the red bath salts she'd made from rock salt and a little edible colouring tasted awful. It went a little like this:

"Red, eat (signed eat) no!"
"Is no honey!" (Jessie-speak for "I don't like it")
"Eat, yeuch!"
"Mummy eat? Mmmmm, no! Yucky!"

Then we wandered over to one of the activity tables where there was some threading going on. The sample necklace had alternating straw pieces and Fruit Loops threaded on a scoobie lace. By the time we arrived all the Fruit Loops were used and/or eaten by other kids. Jess was sad about that and really wanted more Fruit Loops. Taryn got into the activity anyway and went ahead to make her necklace. I told Jess she could make one from Cheerios and Fruit Loops at home this afternoon.

So, true to my word - we did. Here you can see Taryn industriously threading Fruit Loops on a lace:
Jess however was WAY more interested in eating them. And so she polished off the whole bowl! :DAfter all her Fruit Loops were gone she said, "I want more, please!" Way to go Jess! Her current speech therapy goal is to say I want... Of course, she got a few more. (I would have given another bowl-ful, but my mind was wondering what sort of sugar-rush she was headed for!)

She ate those too, threaded a cursory two on her lace, then ate them as well. Looked around for any left, saw there wasn't any and said, "Oh no, where circle gone?"

Sorry kidlet - they're all gone!

No comments: